http://wai-yien.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Owls

Did some owling last Saturday and was blessed with a Spotted Wood Owl and a Barn Owl not too far from one to another.
 
2009 is coming to a close and it has been a pretty "ok" year for me and I thanks all for visiting and leaving behind some very encouraging words. All the best in 2010.

If I may just sum it up, my only disappointment (for the year) was the missed opportunity to make some good shots of the Garnet Pitta, Banded Pitta and the Malaysian Peacock Pheasants which was seen twice this year foraging near Lubok SImpon trail @Kuala Tahan  on the same day.

My best achievement for the year would have been the Large Frogmouth during a trip to Taman Negara@ Merapoh (Sg. Relau);  as a matter of fact, I would not have been able to spot this awkward looking bird without the assistance of Dr. Chan and gang from MNS Ipoh. On the other hand, I am also thankful that many of the great nature lover/birders are posting their trip reports and  posting their wonderfully done photographs of birds and mammals for our viewing/reference.

If there is one thing that I have learnt in 2009, it would be "PLAN YOUR TRIP". It is worthwhile to make sufficient preparation for each and every single trip and I always visit Jas and John's Nature Photography for tips which in my opinion is the best nature site of  Malaysia.

Tabib and Irfan was very obliging to assist and to guide me on when I could not decide which prime lens to go with  when I was planning on upgrading  from my 300mm zoom lens to my first prime lens i.e. Canon 400mm f5.6 lens.

Friends from the North in particularly Terence is always obliging in showing me his playgrounds without  any hesitation.

Long story short,  So make merry! Make merry we must while there's time! Can I let cares overwhelm me? Must I keep waiting for next year?




































Barn Owl was formerly vagrant, and now resident after it was introduced in a Palm Oil plantation in Johor back in the 70s (source: The Birds of Thai-Malay Peninsula, David R.Wells).

6 comments:

terence said...

Your owl photo is great. It seem like you have a great year and I wish you the best for next year.
Good Luck and Happy New Year

madibirder said...

Great shots in the dark.

Tabib said...

Great Owl pictures.
Wish you all the best in new year 2010.
Happy birding!

surin said...

Excellent owl pictures...
Happy new year 2010, wish you the best of best!

Jordan Sitorus said...

Excellent work, Happy New Year 2010!

Danny said...

Stunning photos, these birds are so mysterious.