http://wai-yien.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Javan Frogmouth

This Frogmouth was perched on a branch just barely 10 feet away from my left shoulder all this while when I was busy setting up my gears @ Lubok Simpon trail after seeing a Mouse Deer dashing across the trail.

I froze, breathing slowly and was trying very hard to keep my movement to the minimal to avoid startling the Mouse Deer that was foraging 15 feet away from me. I supposed he could smell my presence and took off without leaving behind a photograph for me to take home with.

Disappointingly, I lifted up my gear to leave, and just as I turn...there it was, the inconspicuous Javan Frogmouth that does not move and make any call/sound for a good 10 - 15 minutes while I stood there trying to get a glimpse of the small Mouse Deer.

I should give thanks to the Mouse Deer because all three (3) species of Frogmouth that were recorded in Malaysia, the Large Frogmouth, Gould's Frogmouth and this Javan Frogmouth are rarely photographed/seen.

An incredible find for an amateur like myself.



7 comments:

Tabib said...

Great photo and finding, congratulation!

madibirder said...

Nice catch. Good details around the face. regds madibirder.

Heather said...

Congratulations on your rare sighting, Yen. You must have been very excited!

John said...

Good catch with a sharp photograph !

gwendolen said...

Wow, super photo Yen. Great sighting too. I've only seen Frogmouths once, in Australia and they were high up in the trees.

This is a fantastic sighting.

JRandSue said...

Well done Yen,outstanding Image.
John.

hasyimi said...

Congrats on this super rare finding. I've not seen this yet. You really have luck at Kuala Tahan. Great shot!