http://wai-yien.blogspot.com/

Friday, May 22, 2009

Great Argus

This is a large bird (the largest of all pheasants), and a friendly one too. I ran into him when I was trekking on the Jenut Muda trail heading toward Bkt Teresek@Kuala Tahan.

I waited for an hour for his other half to come hoping to see their "dance courtship", but no luck.

His call was very loud and you can hear him from almost everywhere. Read all about him here.










































The third photograph was taken when his was making the loud inviting call.


















6 comments:

John said...

Wow, Great Argus . Wish I have chance to birding at Kuala Tahan lah !! Great captured !!!

Tabib said...

Wow!.. you make my nose bleed!.
I have to go there this weekend. ;)

zzlaloq said...

Whoaaaa! congrats on ur catch.. i only have the stamps

hasyimi said...

Great! I have never seen this in the wild. Great shots you have here.

Tabib said...

Just back from Taman Negara. Arrived home @ 6.pm. Very tiring trekking at that Jenut Muda trail with so many up&down hill. Heard loud call of this big bird every where, but none appear on the trail/open area. I give-up after waiting for 45 minutes (some more, I'm afraid sitting alone at 3.5km inside the dark forest!).
So, my nose is still bleeding!!! ;)

Kelly said...

Wow!! What a unique-looking bird. Love those long tail feathers and his little mohawk-looking hairdo! Beautiful series of photos...